CG Questions: Hebrews 1
- “God spoke” (Hebrews 1:1) Can any of you share a time when you know God spoke to you? How did it happen? What did He say?
- How is God speaking through Jesus better than God speaking through the prophets?
- Make a list of all the things Jesus is and the things Jesus did in Hebrews 1:1-4.
- List a few ways Jesus is described. Which one is your favorite and why?
- “After making purification for sins” the Bible says Jesus sat down. What does this imply? How can this encourage us?
- Names are important. Do you know what your name means or why someone chose to name you what they did? Heb. 1:4 says Jesus’ Name that He inherited is Superior to the Angels. See also Phil. 2:10-11. Have you bowed to the Name/Person of Jesus? Are there areas of your life you’re slow to bow? Why?
- Jesus is Superior to the Angels because Jesus is the Son. God the Father wants everyone to know that Jesus is His Son. See Mt. 3:17 and Mt. 17:5. If you are in Christ does God the Father “well pleased” with you too? How could such a thought motivate obedience?
- Even though Jesus is Superior to the Angels ... angels are still very important. How are they described here? What are there jobs? (See 1:14)
- Our theme for Hebrews is Jesus is Better. In chapter 1 we see Jesus is better than the prophets and the Angels. How is Jesus showing you that He is better today? What are you sometimes tempted to believe may be better than Jesus?
- Spend some time envisioning Jesus sitting at the right hand of the Father speaking a better word on your behalf (Hebrews 7:25). A word of healing, a word of forgiveness, a word of hope. Can you hear Him? He’s whispering ...”I’m better my child...draw near, look to Me.”
I’ll be praying for you all as you pray and study this week!
Prepared 1/9/18 by Steven Helfrich