CG Questions: Hebrews 5:1-10
Qualifications of the High Priest
1. Have you ever been asked to represent someone? What qualified you to fill this role? How important is it that the person that represents you really knows you and your circumstances? How did Christ become qualified to represent us before God?
2. Have you had a time in your life when you dealt with a difficulty/temptation that later gave you greater understanding/compassion for another person? Have you ever been able to help someone who has gone through a similar trial, illness, difficulty? How is Jesus able to identify with our weaknesses and trials?
3. Have you ever been required to make recompense for something you had done? Did you ever have someone agree to perform a service on your behalf? How moved are you when you realize that God sacrificed His Son on your behalf to pay the penalty you could never pay?
4. God appointed the high priests to represent the Israelites before God. Jesus was not only sent by the Father but was also His Son. How does the fact that Jesus is a priest according to the order of Melchizedek, whose name meant the king of righteousness and the king of peace give you confidence before God? Note – we will cover Melchizedek in much greater depth when we review chapter 7.
5. Can you recall a time Jesus offered up prayers and petitions with fervent tears and cries? How was He submissive? How important should it be for us to offer prayers to God? How should we demonstrate our submissiveness to God?